Sunday, September 25, 2011

An Island of Fog in the Road

Hey all. This is one of my first posts; I'm more of a lurker, but try to comment when I can. I found /r/nosleep about an hour ago, and I'm inspired by "Sam" (http://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/hnvbl/sam/) and a few other amazing posts to share my experience.

I'm usually a skeptic, and if I hadn't seen this with my own eyes I don't think I'd have believed it. Make of it what you will.

I live in a pretty large town in Southern NJ, but I know it all pretty well, not to mention most of the county. There's a section of town (Cologne) which is mostly farmland with some forest between properties. I have a good friend who lives out there and I was house sitting for her family last summer.
I got out of work late at around 9pm and was speeding the barren streets so I could do some star gazing before bed. Being a warm night, some fog started popping up, and with the threat of deer at every turn, I decided to slow down and turn the brights on. Out of nowhere comes this huge island of fog in the middle of the street, and I see startled face turning towards me. You know that slow-motion sense that happens with adrenaline? I could have watched a hummingbird's wings in that moment.
It was a stunning young woman, roughly the same as my own 24 years. I slammed my foot on the brakes but my tires lost their grip on the slick road, the whole car skidding forwards alarmingly quickly. My heart skipped a beat as I braced for the thump of when I'd hit this beautiful girl, and just for an instant, my eyes met hers. She ceased to seem startled and her gaze hardened a bit. Her bright blue eyes trapped mine. In that moment, all I could do was lament over her lost beauty. Her straight hair cascading over her shoulders, the soft-but-not-plain curves of her cheeks, her bright, bright shining blue eyes... Shining?

Her gaze penetrated me and I felt a cold chill just as the hood of my car thumped. Or when it would have thumped.

Instead, I watched, shocked, as the fog parted around my vehicle, but the girl passed through the inside of my car. My neck and torso turned as did hers, our eyes fixed and locked until finally, she passed through the rear windshield. I blinked, and I saw the corner of mouth turn into a wry smile. I felt my heart beat, my jaw hanging open, and my mouth dry, but still I watched her. I was transfixed. She giggled. Just a slight laugh, not creepy like a child's, not warm like a woman's. And then, she closed her eyes.

I blinked, and she was gone. She took the fog with her. The whisper of her chuckle echoed in my mind the rest of the way home, and I couldn't sleep. The funniest thing about the whole episode? I wasn't panicking that I thought I almost killed a young woman. I wasn't confused over what she was. I wasn't even creeped out by her briefest little laugh. I was enraptured, haunted by how beautiful she was. Even now, as I recall this incident, I can see her face: shocked and discerning, not as if I had almost killed her, but as if I'd stolen an innocent kiss.

shudder

No comments:

Post a Comment