Sunday, September 25, 2011

Walking down the hall

I had a great-aunt, at least that's what I think she is. Don't really know in English, but she's my father's mother's sister-in-law. My family was among those who were closer to her. My grandmother got along really well with her, and her being a badass matriarchal figure, that meant my great-aunt got a lot of cred in the family passed down with my grandma.

We're Indian and my grandparents live with us, and it was after a particularly eventful week this story takes place. A cousin of ours got married with Thursday and Friday being devoted to religious functions and some partying in the evening. Then on Saturday, the wedding was held in the morning and a pretty huge (by our standards) reception that lasted throughout the night. My grandparents went to wish the couple a good future, and our whole family had a pretty great time. My great-aunt was among those laughing and dancing with the kids and enjoying herself.

Then, Monday night, we got a phone call that said she was sick and put in the hospital. Tuesday morning we found out it was pneumonia, and then Tuesday night she passed away with filled lungs. The funeral was set to go on Thursday morning. I was in high school at the time and my parents were on later schedules, so I told my family I'd wake them up when I left for school.

Thursday morning, I'm out of the shower, looking in the mirror to fix my hair and tie (my friend-circle followed what we called "Dress for Success Thursdays" despite dressing HORRENDOUSLY normally). It was pretty temperate but I felt a sudden chill. My hair started to stand on end, though there was no sudden pang of fear or panic.

I saw my great-aunt walk up towards the bathroom door, off a few feet to my left. I saw her in the mirror turn and look at me. And I turned to the door to see her walk farther up the hall. She looked like she had come from my brother's room and had passed my grandparents' room on the way. I saw her out of the corner of my eye while I saw her reflection, then I saw her reflection and her DEAD ON, SIMULTANEOUSLY. Then, I walked out of the bathroom and saw a faint cloud dissipate in the beams of sunlight shining through the windows of the living room. Obviously reminded of her funeral, I went to remind my parents, and asked them if they had heard or seen anything. They had no idea.

She looked to be checking up on us, making sure we were all okay. I consider myself pretty spiritual by Hindu standards, though not in the orthodox way. I was not grief-stricken at all by her death because she had celebrated life, and though it was sudden, I knew that she lived well and was thankful that she didn't really suffer. I was amazed that out of anyone in my family, I was the only one who had seen her. At number family engagements since, I've asked around and no one had any similar experience.

It's sort of interesting, too. I'm not proselyting, but some context/background helps here... My family's all Hindu. We believe in reincarnation and karma and all of that. It's not that ghosts don't happen, but they're kind of a special case, at least if they linger for very long. Since no one has had any experience of her since the funeral, I think it's safe to assume she moved on, but it was cool to catch that glimpse of her between dying and departing.

I'll never forget the look in her eye though: a definite look of detached concern. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else with that particular expression before or after. You could tell she was... gone.



Original Post

No comments:

Post a Comment